[UPDATE] 4:55 p.m. | Turkish media says Suspect in Istanbul nightclub attack captured.
Turkish media reports say police have caught the gunman who killed 39 people during an attack on a nightclub in Istanbul during New Year's celebrations, according to the Associated Press.
The private Dogan news agency and other media say the suspect was caught in Istanbul's district of Esenyurt in a police operation late on Monday.
Islamic State has claimed has claimed responsibility, saying the attack was in reprisal for Turkish military operations in northern Syria.
Turkish police arrested five people on Wednesday tied to the New Year's Eve shooting in an Istanbul nightclub that killed 39 people, but the chief suspect remains at large.
The arrests took place in the port city of Izmir, USA Today reports. At least 21 people are being held by authorities.
Turkey's Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said the chief suspect had been identified, but did not give further details. He is believed to be about 25 years-old and a native of a Central Asian nation, such as Uzbekistan or Kyrgyzstan.
WATCH | A selfie video of the chief suspect in Istanbul was released Tuesday.
The shooting at the Reina nightclub has led to international mourning, protests outside the club and a manhunt.
The attacker's code name was recently revealed.