Please rotate your screen to portrait for optimal viewing experience

VP Mike Pence addressed troops on North Korea's 'provocation' after latest missile launchby Circa News
Global News

UPDATE at 8:37a.m. EST: 

Vice President Mike Pence during his visit to Seoul, South Korea Sunday said North Korea's "provocation" is another reminder of the risks that U.S. and South Korean service members face every day "in the defense of the freedom of the people of South Korea and the defense of America in this part of the world."

Pence arrived in South Korea shortly after a failed missile launch by the North on the birth anniversary of North Korea's late founder.

UPDATE 8:29 p.m. EST:

It is not immediately clear what type of missile was fired, according to the Associated Press.

The military acknowledged the attempt in a statement, "U.S. Pacific Command is fully committed to working closely with our allies in the Republic of Korea and in Japan to maintain security," the military said in a statement Saturday evening."

Another statement provided by Sec. Mattis said that the president is aware of the attempt, but has no further comment.

The failed launch comes just as Vice President Mike Pence was en route with his wife and two daughters to Seoul, South Korea, NBC reported.

UPDATE 7:13 p.m. EST:

North Korea attempted to launch a missile on its east coast, near Sinpo, according to Reuters. It is believed to have failed, South Korea's military said.

ORIGINAL STORY: North Korea paraded its long-range ballistic missiles in a massive military display in central Pyongyang on Saturday, as part of the country's annual celebration of ruler Kim Jong Un's late grandfather. The parade came hours after a top official warned that the North would stand up to any threat posed by the United States.

"It will be the largest of miscalculations if the United States treats us like Iraq and Libya," said a Friday statement by the general staff of the North Korean army, according to the official Korean Central News Agency.

Some reporters in N. Korea shared photos from the parade to social media.

ORIGINAL STORY:  Tensions between North Korea and the US are increasing by the day and apparently President Trump's tweeting habits aren't helping.

North Korea’s vice foreign minister on Friday blamed President Donald Trump for building up a "vicious cycle" of tensions on the Korean Peninsula, saying that his "aggressive" tweets were "making trouble."

Vice Minister Han Song Ryol told the AP that North Korea's military is willing to go to war if that's what Trump wants.

If the U.S. comes with reckless military maneuvers, then we will confront it with the North Korea pre-emptive strike.

Vice Minister Han Song Ryol

He added: “We’ve got a powerful nuclear deterrent already in our hands, and we certainly will not keep our arms crossed in the face of a U.S. pre-emptive strike.”

The White House early Friday said Trump has received a briefing on North Korea's war threats.

The strong comments came hours after NBC News reported that senior intelligence officials said President Trump is prepared to launch a preemptive strike against the country if they prepare another nuclear weapons test.

Trump has made it clear where his administration stands with North Korea.

15 times Trump has criticized the media on Twitter in the last month