WATCH | North Hutchinson Island, Fla. teen Zach Davis ended up at the hospital Tuesday after suffering a vicious shark bite. This was his first time encountering a shark and also his first time wearing his new "shark repelling" band that he got for Christmas.
Davis was discharged from the hospital Wednesday night. He says he is recovering but sore and tired after being “mostly awake” in the hospital for the last 24 hours. His right arm now has a giant jaw mark on it, covered in 44 stitches.
His doctors said it looks like the work of a black tip shark.
"It was like shocking. It wasn't really painful. I just took my leash from my board and just wrapped it around my arm because I didn't want to lose any blood."
“There weren’t any bait fish or anything,” Davis said. "I felt it hit because my hand was on the sand and I felt it grab on like 2-3 seconds and I came up out the water and was like I just got bit." The teen had to think quickly in blood-stained water.
This was the first time he's even had a close encounter with a shark.
WATCH | He was wearing a new band with magnetic technology that advertises the ability to repel sharks away from swimmers.
"I got this for Christmas,” Zack said. "It was supposed to keep sharks away and the first time I wore it, and I go surfing a lot, but the first time I wore it- I get bit." His mom plans on contacting Shark Banz to get a full refund.