Please rotate your screen to portrait for optimal viewing experience

A high school student died after drinking a latte, a Mountain Dew and an energy drinkby Circa News
Happening

The death of 16-year-old high school student Davis Allen Cripe was caused by consuming too much caffeine in the form of a cafe latte, a Mountain Dew, and an energy drink in a two-hour period, CNN reported.

Cripe died of a caffeine-induced cardiac event causing a probable arrhythmia, said Richland County Coroner Gary Watts. 

Cripe collapsed in class after consuming the three drinks. 

"Like all parents, we worry about our kids as they grow up. We worry about their safety, their health, especially once they start driving. But it wasn't a car crash that took his life. Instead, it was an energy drink," said Cripe's father, Sean. 

Cripe's autopsy did not indicate any undiagnosed heat conditions. He was healthy and had no prior conditions. No drugs or alcohol were found in Cripe's system.